Introducing RENTAL WARS!
If you are renting a property in Australia, it is extremely important that not only must you protect the home you are going to rent in, but also YOURSELF! Sometimes, landlords “pretend” that they’re not obliged to fix that leaking roof before you move in, or might take your bond for leaving a dirty tissue behind.
BUT, if you take the following steps, you might be protecting yourself from further trouble.
Check to see if the property you’re looking to rent is on the list of review! That way, you won’t have to even go to the open house.
2) LOOK OUT FOR TELL TALE SIGNS OF NEGLECT
- Check out the garden
- Is the shed toppling over?
- Door frames rotting?
- Windows broken?
- Darker stains on the ceiling could be a leaking roof or possum excretions
- Mould can be easily masked by painting over it
- Talk with the previous tenants
3) INSPECT THE HOUSE
- Take photos/videos of the house with your mobile phone – don’t forget the garden! Make sure you gather evidence if any structures such as garden sheds, falling fences, building waste, etc. is evident around your property!
- Fill in the condition report
4) KEEP TRACK OF DEALINGS
- Keep track of all your dealings with the real estate/landlord in writing
- Stay firm in your communication
- Know your rights and obligations as a tenant (Fair Trading Australia)
- Report to a Tribunal in order to resolve any disptes
5) JOIN THE TENANTS UNION
- Join the Tenants Union of your state
- Contact your member of state parliament and report to them about the lack of protection for renters
- Get Tenant Shield
- Join the Tenant Rights Party – the political party that protects your rights as a tenant!
Don’t forget to check out Rental War’s blogs for more on how you can protect yourself a renter of Australia’s housing and let us know your terrible renting stories down below!
-Roof Us First